Friday, July 14, 2006

A Brief Reminder

Howdy, folks.

I've read through all of the fic here, and I've noticed that no one is taking the time to actually provide any criticism, which I believe is one of the major points of this little endeavor. We can't become better if no one will say what's wrong with a story. I plan to offer detailed suggestion to all stories, aside from an initial comment or two. I suggest everyone do the same.

Don't just say that a story was 'good' or that you 'liked it', offer a way to improve it, and specifically say what was wrong or didn't seem right. I think it would be best to rewrite all of the stories after the contest and see what we've all learned, we can't do that if you're all going to be a bunch of lazy softies. Some of the fics have major problems, and none are perfect, so don't pretend they are. Say something constructive, damn it.

I'm still roughlly in the middle of my story, but when it is finshed, horrible as it may be, I expect you to rip it apart and try your best to improve it. Don't worry about hurting anyone's feelings, we're all friends here and we all want to learn. If anyone shafted me with a 'It was good' statement I'd be mighty pissed off.

I want everyone to go back and tell Leialookalike that nothing happens in her story, tell Aurin that he has created a cliched Mary Sue, tell Diviner that the word 'goop' it out of place in a dark, gritty noir setting, tell Oboe to make some more conflict, and tell Hansgirl to make her own damn dialogue. Tell everyone to stop making obligatory duck references, and to fold it into the story. I don't care what you had for dinner.

Cordially,
Vicomte

7 comments:

YoshiYoda said...

You spelled roughly wrong.

Hansgirl3 said...

Point taken, dear Vic.

The word "it" should be "is" after the word "goop". ;)

Yoshi is also correct.

Vicomte said...

So now we're ready to criticize...



The stories, not the hastily written reminder, please.

YoshiYoda said...

The delivery was horrible on that comment, Vicky.

Marvolo said...

*Stands up and claps*

Thank you, Vicomte.

This is the reason I won't be commenting on anyone's story right away. I need time to go through them. So it's not that I haven't read them, it's that I don't want to simply said "good" and move on.

YoshiYoda said...

The final submissions only have until midnight, so Vicky better hurry.

Diviner525 said...

Point made as eloquently as ever, vicomte.

That is the purpose of providing a review of someone's story - to help them improve their writing.

I've got some notes from reading most of the stories here that I'll be posting as comments on each entry. I haven't gotten thru some of the longer entries quite yet, but have no worries, I'll be posting some thoughts on all of them.

Overall, I think the quality of the stories here was good, and I enjoyed reading thru them all.

Now, time to take the gloves off and get out the claws.