Monday, January 21, 2008

A Still Moment in a Galaxy Far, Far Away by Oboe-Wan


It's been a while since I've blogged about the Galaxy Far, Far Away, so forgive me if I'm a bit rusty here...

I was 3 years old when a movie simply titled "Star Wars" hit the big screen in 1977. I saw it something like 6 times in the theater because everyone wanted a "kid" with them when they went to see it. I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say that this film shaped a large part of who I am: the dreamer inside of me.

When I was 3, my favorite characters were R2-D2 and C-3PO. I looked up to Princess Leia but not the way I would 3 years later when Empire Strikes Back blasted in to my life. And it would be 6 more years before my pre-teen crush on Luke Skywalker reared its ugly head. Part of the reason the droids captured my imagination as a toddler was the whole "robot-thing." Back in the olden days, there weren't computers in every house, telephones had cords & rotary dials and we actually wrote letters on actual stationery and used stamps and a mailbox!!

But here were these two shiny robots - something beyond the wildest imaginings of my young existence. They seemed to have feelings, fears & conversations. They found themselves in the middle of a civil war, not truly understanding their role in what would eventually be the destruction of the most sinister, powerful & evil government in the history of the universe. Even as a little kid, I knew something big was going to happen - how could it not? Did you see how shiny C-3PO was?

Simply put, when Obi-Wan stumbles across the rocks into the Jundland Wastes to save Luke, so entered my understanding that not everything is as it seems. I remember that rush of fear: who was that coming toward R2D2? Was he good or bad? Friend or foe? He's wearing a dark hooded cloak and had made a really scary noise, would he finish the job the Sand People couldn't on Luke? It's an exhilarating moment, one which I do try to trick myself into reliving every time I pop the "Star Wars" DVD into my player. That innocence of not knowing what was going to happen.

These days, this moment has even more weight knowing what we know now thanks to the PT. Obi-Wan is one of the greatest Jedi to ever live. He could have defeated Anakin on Mustafar if it weren't for his darn sense of mercy. Although, leaving your friend to burn on a lava floe seems less merciless than running him through. But, like another wise wizard said, it's not for us to say who should live and who should die. Obi-Wan paid for his choice for years, but in the end was able to help the story to its conclusion with his own death.

As Obi-Wan stumbles into R2's line of sight, we know he can't be someone sinister or wicked. Evil villains usually walk with much more confidence. Even someone like Han Solo walks with a swagger that I imagine wouldn't be hampered by a stroll over Tattooine's rocky terrain. So here comes Obi-Wan, an old man, seemingly frail & comedic, yet he hides a dark secret and a deadly purpose. It's no mistake that he was there to rescue Luke, he was trailing him all along. In fact, all his life! It's time to approach Luke, win his trust & thrust him head first into his destiny.

Perhaps his uneven gait is an outward manifestation of his unease about dragging Luke in to the war? Is this truly the right time to approach him? According to the NPR radio plays, Obi-Wan had rescued Luke once before, they had brief contact then. So what makes this meeting so different? It's likely that Obi-Wan could sense Leia's distress in the space above Tattooine. She speaks of her "mission" involving him as if this was prearranged and he was expecting her. If this is true, then when he looked to sky to see the laser-exchange and then did not receive Leia on time, he knew it was time to get Luke.

This image is Obi-Wan coming out of his seclusion, his hermit life, teetering on the brink of "crazy old wizard" and "Jedi Knight, same as your father". For him, it is just as powerful as it is for the those watching his approach (droids & human movie goers) - which will he be from here on out?

The excitement of the moment can get lost after countless viewings of the movie. But I challenge you: the next time you watch Episode IV, forget everything you know & just feel the excitement of a dark cloaked figure, moving through the shadows...

20 comments:

amidalooine said...

One of the things I remember most vividly about my first viewing of ANH back in the theater in 1977 is the sight of that crazy old wizard with the unsteady gait. It was such a contrast to who Obi-wan turned out to be and his significance in the saga. Nice job, Oboe!

Granny-Wan said...

o here comes Obi-Wan, an old man, seemingly frail & comedic, yet he hides a dark secret and a deadly purpose.



This image is Obi-Wan coming out of his seclusion, his hermit life, teetering on the brink of "crazy old wizard" and "Jedi Knight, same as your father".


And he's been waiting for this moment for nearly twenty years! He never stopped being a Jedi Knight, in spite of what he says.... the right time just had to come along!

YZF said...

As a kid, I was mostly confused by this scene. Why the heck were the Tuskens running away? Were they afraid of an oversized, floating cloak?

But now I get it. Maybe they were. SW is so ingrained in us by now that we can't escape our own knowledge of what comes next. We have to let go... and that's when we'll enjoy it most.

I've missed reading your take on the saga... very refreshing. :)

nob01 said...

Oh boy, I'm glad you got this still.
There's something poignant about Obi-Wan (or should that be Oboe-wan?) emerging from the desert to impart words of wisdom ;-)
Don't be in too much of a hurry to rush back - we miss you :-)
BTW - great analysis!!

Anonymous said...

Nice! I remember seeing Obi-wan for the first time, it's like "oh, no....Oh, it's an old man!" :)

Very good thoughts on what Obi-wan was feeling as he walked towards Luke, kind of a big breath, cuz he knows everything is going to go really fast after that.

Lisa S. said...

Aw! You guys are so sweet!!

There's something poignant about Obi-Wan (or should that be Oboe-wan?) emerging from the desert to impart words of wisdom ;-

I've been spending the last few weeks trying my best not to over analyze the world, to sit back & enjoy the ride so to speak... for the most part it's working, but I notice I've been wearing oversized cloaks & I haven't shaved my legs in a while...

Robin Parker said...

And it would be 6 more years before my pre-teen crush on Luke Skywalker reared its ugly head.

Ugly, I think not. What know you about ugly rearing heads. You been chased by a rancor lately? Now that is ugly...LMAO.

But I challenge you: the next time you watch Episode IV, forget everything you know & just feel the excitement of a dark cloaked figure, moving through the shadows...

And I already have my dear. I agree with you 100%...That scene of Obi Wan coming to Luke's rescue always scared me. One never knows what lies beneath the cloak. ;)

Thanks for taking me back in time, my friend. Fun blog!!

Robin Parker said...

...for the most part it's working, but I notice I've been wearing oversized cloaks & I haven't shaved my legs in a while...

Hey, I'm in an oversized cloak and haven't shaved my legs in a while either. Kewl, let's have a shaving party...LMAO

Lisa S. said...

Kewl, let's have a shaving party...LMAO

ROTFLMAO!! No wax, ok?

Granny-Wan said...

That scene of Obi Wan coming to Luke's rescue always scared me

THAT'S why you thought that picture of your cloak was so spooky.... LOL

jedilily said...

Perhaps his uneven gait is an outward manifestation of his unease about dragging Luke in to the war?

And I always thought he walked that way b/c he was old. I'll never think that way again.

JediMelindaWolf said...

That innocence of not knowing what was going to happen

I do that every time I watch one of the movies, o-w, and my padawans always give me a hard time! ;-) Go figure! Next time I'm going to tell them I'm not the only person who does this!!! :-)

Good job, o-w! I enjoyed this very much. :D

:-)

GoKnight said...

seemingly frail & comedic

An apt description!

Great take on this, Oboe-Wan!

I like how you connect that he could sense what was going on in the skies above and this helped him to know "it was time." Great blog!

shaggy fett said...

very cool blog. i actually read this not long after watching ANH, so everything was fresh in my mind.

whenever obi wan comes into the scene, it always looks like he slipped on one of the rocks, which is why his arms fly up in the air.

but he's such a cool dude he plays it off like he meant to do it.

but you know whats really going on. like when people accidently trip on the sidewalk and then start jogging for a few yards, trying to play it off?!?! only...they aren't cool like obi wan. props to ellen degeneres.

jediprincess77 said...

Oboe, I loved this!!!

Sometimes (since we are all seasoned SW viewers/readers/collectors/fanatics) we glance over pivotal moments in the films. This is one of those scenes for me. I still get chills when I hear John Williams' music after Luke mentions the name Obi-Wan, but that's about it.

Echoing what Stooge said, sometimes it's best to forget all the little facts and tidbits we've learned & just get sucked into the story!

That's what you did here & it was a blast to read!!

Hansgirl3 said...

Perhaps his uneven gait is an outward manifestation of his unease about dragging Luke in to the war?

Oooh, cool way to look at that Oboe! I need to watch that seen again. :)

Nice blog!

Lisa Dullard said...

Not rusty at all my dear Oboe! That was fantastic! :o)

ewanandhaydenfan5 said...

"not everything is as it seems."
How true. Another important lesson from the Saga - "Your eyes can deceive you".

"Perhaps his uneven gait is an outward manifestation of his unease about dragging Luke in to the war?"
Wow-great observation! I never thought of it that way.

Awesome job!

PadmeSkywalker said...

Wow, Oboe-Wan...you truly never cease to amaze with your ability to write!!

Perhaps his uneven gait is an outward manifestation of his unease about dragging Luke in to the war?

Oooo...I never thought about it that way. An unease about dragging him into a war that started before his birth and never really ended...just changed purposes.

Wonderful job, my friend!!

GoKnight said...

not everything is as it seems."
How true. Another important lesson from the Saga - "Your eyes can deceive you".


Very true, Ehfy!

Oboe -- I gave you a blug from my blog below! (points for alliteration, anyone!) ;-)