Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Coming home. . .

He ran until he hit the invisible wall that would let him go no further.

Luke looked at the smoldering scene before him. He realized that everything he had been so familiar with, everything he had known so intimately now looked completely foreign. He was viewing his homestead through different eyes; like a hostage released from a dark dungeon. He tried to focus on the changed images of a world he thought he knew. It was painful and brilliant all at once.

Luke felt every imaginable emotion take hold of him. It was the emotion he didn’t expect that caught him off guard. It swept over him like a cool wind and surprised him like a violent desert storm: it was peace.

Peace. How could anyone feel peace at a time like this?

The murder of Luke’s beloved Aunt Beru and his never-quite-good-enough Uncle Owen changed his life in a stunning flash. And yet, somehow he knew the change had little to do with Owen and Beru. Yes, they were the precipitants. But it was their time. He knew this. He felt it. Although their murders were horrific and inexcusable, Luke knew they were at peace after a long life of toil and hard labor. It was just hard to accept that HE himself could feel. . .peace.

Peace.

How else could one describe it? He did not mourn for his adopted family. He felt no obligation to stay, no ties to anyone or any place. But what Luke was feeling was more than lack of guilt or lack of ties. No – peace and freedom are two very different things.

Peace.

Looking back, Luke had always been restless growing up on the farm. It wasn’t where he belonged. And although Beru was loving and Owen was both watchful and dutiful, he knew they weren’t his. No – he had always felt alone.

And on this desert world of Tatooine, he was not only alone, but also out of place. He wondered at his oddities – his seemingly unique ability to see and feel things in a way that was very different from others. He felt guilt over his restlessness and shame at his lack of contentment. He despaired at his unrelenting desire to become something more. And yet he felt deeply for his family and for the universe at large. Compassion and empathy coursed through his veins with no outlet but the broken moisture evaporators and the occasional droid. He was being crushed by his own apathy. He knew he was not the dutiful son and farm-boy that he should be – and yet. . .

Peace.

Luke began to realize with a painful certainty that these murders would’ve never happened if he’d been there. He could’ve stopped them. He didn’t know exactly how, but he knew he could’ve saved his family. And even though he did feel both guilt and regret, he also realized that these senseless deaths had succeeded in pointing him in another direction. . .

Peace.

Somehow, Luke did not find himself swearing revenge for this horrific event. Oh – he knew how to be angry and how to feel hate. He had been angry for a long time: angry at the futility of farming the desert, angry at the loss of his real parents, angry at the limits set by his surrogate family and angry at his lot in life. But, like many others who had grown up in the desert wastelands, he learned early on that anger served no purpose. It didn’t change things. Only individual beings and the choices they made could change things. . .

Peace.

No, Luke did not swear revenge. Instead, the compassion that was part of his very nature moved him to action. His new clarity told him that there were others – many others – to be saved. In this knowledge, he found a way to escape the planet and to escape the apathy. He could not save Owen & Beru – but he could save others. And he knew exactly how he would save them.

Jedi. The word pounded in his head and beat through his heart. Jedi. Possessing unimaginable skills: courage, power, knowledge, control, strength. Jedi. Near mythical beings from a now golden age. Jedi. Gone from the universe, exterminated long ago. Jedi. No – there is another. Jedi. No – there is ANOTHER. Jedi. You are Jedi. Jedi. YOU are Jedi. Jedi. Your destiny, Luke, is to bring the return of the Jedi. . .

Peace.

Now, as he watched the effigies that had been his only family, Luke recognized the façade for what it was. And as it evaporated in the light of the harsh desert suns, so did his self-doubt. He knew with utter certainty who he was and what he had to do – as if a veil had fallen from his eyes. The universe – and his place in it – were suddenly blindingly clear.

Peace.

Luke Skywalker, orphaned farm-boy from Tatooine, had purpose. He was a Jedi. And this knowledge – this sudden and completely unquestionable certainty – gave him a peace he had never experienced before. The peace of purpose; of knowing one’s place in the universe. And the universe cried out for his presence like a dying mother clutching for her newborn. He was ready, now, to accept that long-awaited embrace.

Peace.

Luke knew that by putting on the mantle of the Jedi, he would be fulfilling a destiny he couldn’t even begin to understand – but one that he could never deny. Yet even as the acceptance of his new identity began to sink in, Luke felt familiar doubts and fears trying to claw through the peace. Doubt, fear and anger seemed desperate to break through this strong and threatening tranquility. It became clear that being a Jedi would not be easy – there would be tasks ahead far more difficult than burying his family – battles he could not even begin to imagine. Still – he knew he had to go – he had to try.

I want to come with you to Alderaan. There’s nothing here for me now. I want to learn the ways of the Force an become a Jedi like my father. . .

And for this brief and fateful moment, Luke Skywalker wrapped himself in the peace he felt – the real cloak of any true Jedi – and walked away with his new mentor, Obi-Wan Kenobi.

And – unlike many others – he never looked back.

Well. . .there you have it. My first fanfic ever. I think it's fine -- except for dialogue and scene descriptions and a general plot. Other than that, just fine! Well -- as you can tell, I write more like an "academic" than a storyteller. But this has been a good experience. It makes me appreciate even more those of you who have the special talent of being able to tell a good tale. Thanks to Luuke and to River for the encouragement and the suggestions.

Your Senator,
Soph-ia

PS -- that's not a plea for mercy, btw -- just an explanation of the facts! ;-)

12 comments:

Granny-Wan said...

Excellent. An excellent look at a very familiar scene, a look I'd never thought of before. I've heard Luke say "There's nothing for me here now" a hundred times but this time it gave me a chill. This was perhaps Luke's first step towards a larger world.

Granny-Wan said...

I VOTE FOR THIS ONE!

Anonymous said...

Great fic! YOu've drawn a very powerful and moving look at Luke's emotions after seeing the murder of his family.

I really liked his attitude towards revenge...it was so in character for Luke. Great job!

GoKnight said...

This was perhaps Luke's first step towards a larger world.

Oh Granny! I can hear Obi Wan now! Thank you for the smile and for the kind words!

I'm learning so much by doing this and by having a chance to read everyone's work! And you know how much I love "Echoes of the Dead!"

I still haven't read the other new posts, but I definitely will -- I can't wait!

Arwen, thanks to you, too. This certainly where I expected to go with this: "peace." But it's where the Force guided me, I guess!

I'm guessing some of the guys will have a very different perspective on this -- but that's just my guess!

leialookalike1 said...

The breaks with

peace

was an interesting choice. again a nice fresh take at a classic scene.

Anonymous said...

I love it! You've definitely got my vote!

Diviner525 said...

Okay, after reading this I now officially hate the word "Peace".

Seriously, the word "peace" appears 17 times in this story - I actually went back and counted them. Not to mention that the word "Jedi" appears 11 times in one paragraph!

Are you kidding me?

I understand that the repetition of a key word or phrase can be an excellent writing tool (even poetic when done right), but when taken to this extreme it is just downright distracting.

I have my usual complaint that this whole story is just a re-enactment of a scene from the movies - specifically A New Hope in this case. I agree that this is a powerful scene and very emotional for Luke, but if I want that emotion I'll just go and put in my Episode IV dvd.

C'mon Soph, try something creative. Something unique to you. Maybe some characters you create, or even a new setting.

Naturally, I still love ya Senator, but this story just came up boring for me.

DragonFang said...

Okay, here's my critique. Note that it is a personal thing and that it is merely directed at the story, not at you personally.

Okay, here goes.

Language:
Grammar and spelling were good, no major mistakes. Word usage was good, too - unlike Diviner I did not mind the repetition of "peace" at all. Overall readability was high. High points on language.

Plot:
The originality of the plot was not exactly great. It's a known scene from the movies, but your description of it was good. Creativity - in the sense that you basically described how Luke felt - was better. Plot development was nigh nonexistant, since there were no external changes (character development follows below). Pace was good. Believability was high; it came across as a natural and logical thing for Luke to experience. Medium-high score on plot.

Characters:
Luke, being the only character you described, was well fleshed-out. Originality wasn't very high (no new characters) but believability was. Development was very high! I like how Luke changed, mentally, and how you described that. Interaction with others was nonexistant, so no score on that. Overall, high points.

Overall:
I enjoyed reading this story. That counts for more than the above; good work!

GoKnight said...

D525 -- thank you for your very honest comments. Like I mentioned, I'm not a fanfic writer -- I write "academically" and it shows! No real plot, no real dialogue, scene development, etc. . .I couldn't agree more!

I did the repetition on "Peace" on purpose. Seems it's an either "love it or hate it" kind of thing. I get what you're saying, though! ;-)

My goal for this fanfic was to actually write something -- maybe next time I'll actually push for creativity!

Again -- I really appreciate your honest critique! Thanks!

DF -- thank you, too for taking the time to analyze this for me. I like how you "categorized" your remarks -- that's a great idea! Your remarks were right in line with D525, I think.

Like I said -- the best part about writing this was that it REALLY led me to appreciate what some of you guys are capable of. Wow!

Robin Parker said...

Well, my dear, you have just taken your first steps into a larger world.

I'm leaning more with Dragonboy on the critic part and not Mr. Divine. I enjoyed getting into Luke's head and I'm sure that is what he was feeling...All emotions. That being said, it is OK to use a scene out of the movies and expand on it. What I probably would have done is added some Stormies or a probe droid to come back and scout the area out. Boy, you could have really ran with Luke's head on that point.

For a first timer, you did an excellent job. BTW, writing fanfic is NOT easy. Especially in a prestigous world like Star Wars. Why do you think I don't write it? It scares the shit out of me and I really don't feel like messing with the Maker's piece of work.

Vicomte said...

Here I am.

The repetition of the word 'Peace', though clearly motivated, was a bit tedious. I had to stop myself from bursting with laughter after a while, which may have something to do with Diviner's comment on the blog I posted earlier. In all fairness, that probably wasn't your fault. For the record, I'm laughing right now.

The 'story' wasn't much of a story. It read like a blog. It pretty much was a blog, by the end. It started with a more story-esque style, but quickly became something different, more analytical. You ended up telling us what Luke was feeling rather than letting him feel it.

Nothing happens in this story, which may add to the general peacefulness of the theme. Luke thingks a bit. He doesn't even change his thoughts, or work though them to arrive at a conclusion. He starts thinking peace, thinks peace some more, then decides peace. There is no conflict, no character development, no growth, and nothing interesting. It's a nice philosophical piece, but really doesn't work as a tale meant for entertainment.

The repetition of the word 'jedi' was somewhat ridiculous. It seems like you were relying on simply repeating words to make your point, while you didn't do much else.

It might have worked as a bit within a story, but, as it is, it's either invalid or just plain bad.

First times can be a bit painful, for both parties. (Pun most definitely intended.)
;)

Peace.

GoKnight said...

Hey Vic! Thanks for popping over!

Yup. You & D525 nailed it. I suck at the "story" part. I can "write" just fine. I can't do "fiction." I think "analytical" and "blog-like" are the two best descriptors I've heard yet. Most of the writing I've ever done has been academic -- et voila! That's how I still write!

I repeated "Peace" so it would come off like waves rolling over him, everytime he tried to grasp or work through the incongruity of the emotion(when paired with his current situation), it would just wash over him again. I laugh every time I read it now, too -- specially after D525! Oh well -- at least I elicited a smile!

The repitition of the word "Jedi" was supposed to be more like an increasing heartbeat. You know like some sudden revelation -- when you realize you've overslept for the big exam or that you've really won the Publisher's Clearing House Sweepstakes -- you can't believe it at first, but it keeps pounding at you louder and louder. . .until you realize it's "truth."

Yeah -- so that didn't work, either! ;-)

Anyway, like I said, the best part of this venture was really getting to appreciate the folks who CAN do this. I'm just amazed at the talent around here. . .

Which is why people better frickin' get over her and vote or this whole thing will be a horrible, horrible travesty! Ahhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, I do very much appreciate the candid comments. Your opinion does mean a lot to me.

Peace. Out.