Sunday, January 17, 2010

Happy Birthday ESB From Wes Janson!

Go put in your ESB soundtrack. Forward it to “Battle in the Snow”. Go on, I’ll wait. Got it?

In this scene in Empire Strikes back, there is a little known hero…no, not Dak, he dies pretty quick, poor guy. I’m talking about Wes Janson. We didn’t even know he had a first name at that time, but he was a major player in the snowspeeder battle against the Imperial walkers.

He was Wedge’s gunner in the snowspeeder, you know, the guy who sit’s backwards. It’s hard enough to have to shoot at things when you’re going so fast, but to have to do it flying backwards? Don’t you know he had to have had a stomach of steel? “I can’t set that harpoon yet, Wedge, I gotta hurl…” I imagine he had to have been looking at a monitor, too, in addition to taking his cues from his pilot (Wedge) and sitting with his back to the action. That takes some good coordination!!

While it was Luke’s idea to use the harpoons and tow cables, it was Wedge and Janson who were successful on their first attempt at tripping the huge metal beast. After making three or four passes around the legs of the walker, he detached the cable and the walker came down. I think I’m with Wedge in saying, “Good shot, Janson!” He was one of the characters to me that deserved just a little bit more credit, and a little bit more face time in the movie.

This was one of the scenes that made Empire Strikes Back classic Star Wars! ESB has been going strong for 30 years, and it’s my absolute favorite out of the whole Saga. Happy 30th Birthday, ESB…you will remain ageless forever!

Here’s to many, many more years of enjoyment! **clink**

MTFBWY

GB

6 comments:

JediMelindaWolf said...

This was great, g-b! I laughed and laughed . . . those gunners had to have more than dexterity to do what they had to do, under the conditions in which they were placed. And you explained that with such panache! :-)

Wes Janson - one of the many unsung heroes of SW. :-) They really should get more credit. (luckily, he appears in more than one of the subsequent novels!)

MTFBWY :-)

Granny-Wan said...

I've ridden backwards on an airplane, but I never got to shoot anyone... sigh...

Qui-Gon Reborn said...

Good shot, Janson! And good blog, GB! LOL

nob01 said...

Nicely done, GB!!
For many years I thought his name was Jackson.
I'm slapping myself on the PLB's behalf.

Robin Parker said...

“I can’t set that harpoon yet, Wedge, I gotta hurl…”,

If you're gonna spew, spew in this...LMAO

Here’s to many, many more years of enjoyment! **clink**,

I'll clink to that...LOL

(luckily, he appears in more than one of the subsequent novels!),

Yes he was and there's even an active figure of him. Can you believe that?!?! Too funny...great job GB. :D

ewanandhaydenfan5 said...

"He was one of the characters to me that deserved just a little bit more credit"
I agree. Nice job!