Monday, June 30, 2008

The Word of Star Wars

Have you ever grappled with a conundrum that has hooked you and won’t let go?
I have, and I’m going to need more than a fancy escape hatch or grappling hook to wriggle out of this one. Let me transport you briefly to a moderately windy chasm in the bowels of the Death Star, where a naïve young farm boy and a tough as nails princess are going to get a lot closer via a grappling hook. As they prepared to swing across and out of harm’s way, he grappled the end of the cord as she hooked her arm around him, and some storm troopers attempted a lackluster limbo under the jammed door behind them.
The quick kiss they share is nothing compared to the saliva extravaganza from ESB, so I will not analyze it, but rather turn my attention to the grappling hook Luke uses.
Why would a storm trooper have a hook on his belt, let alone one of the grappling variety? Are they really so dense that they sometimes forget how to operate the bridges, and then have to use their grappling hooks to get from the detention block to the washroom?
Perhaps they use them in the canteen, hooking the salt at one end of the table and dragging it down into their frantically grappling hands.
Maybe they take them with them when they have shore leave on Naboo; they would certainly come in handy when grappling with a shaak or trying to hook a goober fish for breakfast.
I was discussing this question with my Chinese friend, Ling, over fruit salad the other day, when she suddenly started choking as if she had swallowed a tiny grappling hook.
I quickly ran around and thumped her solar plexus, causing the offending piece of fruit to fly out onto the table, which prompted my exclamation “It’s a grape, Ling, who could have seen that coming?”
“That’s a terribly tenuous attempt to insert the word grappling hook into a sentence,” she replied…

4 comments:

Hansgirl3 said...

“It’s a grape, Ling, who could have seen that coming?”

OMG, LMAO!!!! I shouldn't have read that while I was eating!!!

jediprincess77 said...

What a grappling tale, Nobby! I'm totally hooked. ;D

Robin Parker said...

I quickly ran around and thumped her solar plexus, causing the offending piece of fruit to fly out onto the table, which prompted my exclamation “It’s a grape, Ling, who could have seen that coming?”

Well, that's one hell of a hook line and sinker for your grape story...

LMAO

Ashton said...

Nice! XD Can't wait for the next one.