Thursday, June 08, 2006

So be it…blogger.com

This is version 2.0 of a post that I’ve already lost trying to submit to this infernal site. That’s why you type it up in word first, kids.

*Straps on mod cap*

First of all, we now have a logo! And by that I mean: I took Rive’s logo and did a crude job of replacing “fan” with “fanfic” in photoshop. D’you think he’ll notice?

I’ve sent out invites to everyone, and the new members are steadily trickling in. If you’re reading this and you haven’t received an invite for some reason, post a comment here or send me an email.

Next, this is an announcement for some of our newer OPLBFC members. Back in mid-May, Kenobi-fan posted his very first attempt at fanfiction -- and I will not be the first, nor the last to say that it was a mighty impressive one. So if you haven’t read it yet, I’ve provided the link here. And if you have read it before, I’m making it easy to find, because this fanfic definitely merits a re-read.

Impressions of the Force

On a related note, I’ve been editing the posted fic to put a line in between each paragraph. In my opinion, this makes it a lot easier to read (ie. the entire thing doesn’t look like a giant block of text). I’ve done the first little bit, but let me know what you think. Do you prefer the old way? If so, I can change it back.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch (the official site, that is), Dark Spork has posted a blog entry with a bit of advice for those who are new at writing fanfiction. True, it’s all pretty basic stuff, and she thinks blogger.com is a less than ideal place to post fanfiction, but there are some good links in there.

14 comments:

DragonFang said...

Up till now, Dark Spork hasn't explained why she doesn't like Blogger. Maybe she just had bad experiences with the site. I know I've been having difficulties with it, since half the time I can't get the comments to open. Well only today and yesterday. Anyone else had that?
Thanks for the quicklink to K-fanfic! :D

Marvolo said...

Well, I lost my comment here twice already, if that gives you any indication. I've been having problems with this site all day...

I'm not sure what makes livejournal (which Her Sporkiness prefers) better. I'm familiar with it, but I've never used it to post stories yet. Perhaps the lj-cut that makes it easier to scroll down the page? That's all I can think of.

*Shrugs*

starthunder said...

Hey! Looks great so far over here. Peering in to see whats going on.

blogspot doesn't offer the best formats for large quantities of text. I'm not sure if that's why Spork doesn't care for it. All of the templates have pretty narrow posting fields, which you can fix by rewriting the html if ya know how.

Have you considered changing the template here? The black background with white text isn't so easy on the eyes either for longer entries, which you'd expect fanfic to be (sort of long).

I'm just chock full o' free advice :p

Is that a caped Marvolo I see up there? Ha!

leialookalike1 said...

I simply have internet hooking problems. It annoys me to no end.

alshf123 said...

"Anyone else had that?"

Yes, It's been happening to me for the last few days. It's quite bothersome.

starthunder said...

blogspot was partially down for server maintenance for the better part of this week. I think the worst of it is over.

Marvolo said...

I see what you mean, jk. I made the posting field a bit wider a while ago. So now it's wider than the PLB site, but I can see how it might not be very long post-friendly.

I'll experiment with the template when I get a chance over the next few days.

Hansgirl3 said...

The logo looks great, firstly!

I like the idea of different colors as the white on black is a challenge. I definitely agree! Well, for longer blogs, which these will be.

I've been having trouble on the site from work the last couple of days, but not from home. Don't know what the deal is.

DragonFang said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
DragonFang said...

I made the posting field a bit wider a while ago.
Odd, today is the first day I see it. Can you please tell me how to do that? I've got the same base template, so you could e-mail it or post it in my lab blog. It would be very long, technical and boring as a comment here.
- sorry for the repost, but the link didn't work. -

DragonFang said...

E-mail link still doesn't work. Ah well, there's a link on my page.

Marvolo said...

It took me a long time, but I finally figured it out. Widening the posting field is pretty easy, but with this layout, the background doesn't resize, so I had to do it manually in photoshop.

DF, I can send you the template, but I've taken out the profile container, since it was a long list of our names that made the page look rather ugly. I will figure out how to put it back into the template and send it over to you.

DragonFang said...

I received your mail; thanks!

DragonFang said...

Wow, I did it! The template, that is. Been trying out lots of things in my blog lab, and finally got that finishing touch. Thanks for your help, Marv!