Monday, June 05, 2006

The Official Rules for the Fanficolicious Challenge

The goal with this fanfiction challenge is to set a deadline, and to have participants submit a work of Star Wars fanfiction before that deadline and post it here for their fellow bloggers to read, and inevitably, to rip apart (not to scare anyone off or anything!) We're all writers here, and some of us have tried our hand at fiction before. This could offer us the opportunity to critique each other in a non-threatening environment, and improve our writing. For some of us (myself included), it will be an opportunity to expand our horizons. And for others, (I am definitely speaking of myself here), it will provide a much needed kick in the rear to actually finish said work of fanfiction. I know that all of you have at least one good story in you! It's time to put it on the page!

By popular request, I will grant participants the freedom to write about whatever they want. You can choose any era, any characters, or anything in the Star Wars universe to explore. There will be as few restrictions as possible to inhibit our imaginations.

The only parameters for the story itself are that:
1) The story must be set primarily within the Star Wars universe (obviously).
2) It must strive to be in-continuity. Don't worry too much about this. Obviously I'm not asking you to do hours of research or read every single EU book. Simply ask yourself if what's going on in your story makes sense and doesn't mess up anything going on in the movies. For example, you can't have Han running around on Alderaan if you're writing a story set in between TESB and RotJ. And as Luuke put it, "if you haven't read the EU? So what. If it fits in with movie continuity but messes with a book, I say good enough."
3) It must contain a duck in some way, shape, or form.

Deadline & submission information:
The deadline will be July 15th. Submission will work in the following way: Starting on July 12th, participants may submit their completed stories by posting them on this site. This submission period will end on July 15th. If you are absent and unable to post your story during that time, email your story to me, and I will post it. On July 16th, I will post a list with links to every story. That way we will have an easy way to access the stories even as they disappear off the first page. After the submission period has ended, all perticipants are highly encouraged to comment on these stories and provide feedback. You can take your time with it -- that's why the list is there.

Other stuff
We still need to decide on a required story length, and I would like some feedback on this. I would like to say that participants can make the story as long as they want, but I'm not so sure that I want to read a five hundred page epic. My thoughts are that the story should be at least 2,000 words.

Participation in this challenge is not mandatory, but is highly recommended (maybe only by me, but recommended nevertheless). 2,000 words can be pounded out in an afternoon with sufficient motivation, and I don't care how terrible it is. This is a challenge, after all. You may even surprise yourself.

_____________________________
Any questions can be posed here. Also, let me know if I forgot anything.

19 comments:

alshf123 said...

Thank you for that link. I was so confused as to what, this duck, you speak of was.

Marvolo said...

Hey, alshf123. Send me an email (just click on my profile), and I can send you an invite for this blog.

Hansgirl3 said...

So, here we are!! This'll be fun!! I'll try my hand at fanfic!! :)

Lisa S. said...

Ok... so now I have to flex the old imagination muscles...... LOOK OUT!!!!

Marvolo said...

I'll say it again, everyone: welcome! And you can feel free to start posting fanfiction that you've already written as soon as you want. It doesn't even have to be Star Wars fanfic. Just don't, under any circumstances, post your fanfic that will be submitted for the challenge yet. Wait until July 12th.

Also, if anyone has any fanfiction websites that have been up and running for a while, post the link here, and I will create at link at the side of the page for you. Oboe-Wan, is it alright if I link to your fanfiction blog here?

leialookalike1 said...

I'm in too. Other stuff may have to wait, I can only work on one thing at a time.

DragonFang said...

Been working on my fanfic for the challenge. Seems to be working out alright. Sorry, no Mandos. Not a lot of action, either. You'll see. Soon.

Nice picture, Oboe-Wan!

Marvolo said...

So today I was productive. I spent a while "researching."

And by that I mean playing Knights of the Old Republic II. It was helpful, though. I just got carried away with my "research."

The actual writing part, however, has yet to be started.

YoshiYoda said...

Cool! I'm "in"! Ha! I'm procrastinating like Mina... Actually, I just suck at fanfic... I haven't decided if I am going to enter anything...

Marvolo said...

I've been messing around with the layout all morning. I think that qualifies as procrastination.

But now we have an announcement box with pretty purple dates for the deadline! Just try telling me that wasn't worth my time!

Yoshi, I want a 2,000 word fanfic about Mango and his encounter with a duck, on my desk Monday morning! No excuses.

DragonFang said...

Just try telling me that wasn't worth my time!
No way, it's too cool! :D

Yoshi, I want a 2,000 word fanfic about Mango and his encounter with a duck, on my desk Monday morning! No excuses.
Now look what you've done! You've upset Lady Marv! Not wise, boy... but she is right; you could do this easily. C'mon, give us all a great piece of wittiness! :)

YoshiYoda said...

>>Yoshi, I want a 2,000 word fanfic about Mango and his encounter with a duck, on my desk Monday morning! No excuses.<<

I'll do it! Now what program has a word count..... ;) But, if you really want Mango fanfic, that can be what I do.. It won't be a dramatic masterpiece, but it would be funny...

Marvolo said...

Yoshi, here's how it is...

It doesn't have to be about Mango. I brought up that potential plotline because 1) it involves a Mandalorian, 2) it involves a duck, and 3) it requires minimal planning. So basically, I'm just harassing you to take part in the challenge. It doesn't have to be a serious story; it can be as ridiculous as you would like.

But seriously, get writing. I expect a progress report on Monday morning!

YoshiYoda said...

Starting tommorrow I will be leaving town for two days, so I will not be able to work on it. If anyone notices my absense, (which I doubt anyone will) please tell them. :) I think I will do a story on Mango... Maybe not about his encounter with a duck, but nonetheless a Mango story. :D

YoshiYoda said...

I finally found out how to use BOLD!!

YoshiYoda said...

I'm finally back!

marajade232323 said...

Are Non Plb'ers allowed to enter???

DragonFang said...

Are Non Plb'ers allowed to enter???
Hmmm... you'd better ask Marvolo. I guess she would tell you "no", or at least, not directly. If you post on your own site, you could link to it, of course. Tell them I said so. :D

Marvolo said...

Hmmm...we're back to this exclusivity thing. In light of recent events, I would like to make this site as welcoming as possible. I won't be linking to it everywhere, but I'm going to allow so-called "outsiders" to participate.

I made this decision a few weeks ago, but I'm currently allowing a "guest entry" by Mara to the challenge, specifically because I didn't want the fanfiction club to be very exclusive. I will do the same if others should ask about participating, but I'm being sure not to broadcast the challenge everywhere so that everyone wants to enter.

I'm not sure what I will do once people have posted fanfiction and want to plug it to get more readers, though.

I will throw an official statement together that explains this tomorrow.